Goldfields Aboriginal Business Chamber (GABC)
The Goldfields Aboriginal Business Chamber (GABC) is a recently formed local Aboriginal-led Incorporated Association comprised of Aboriginal business owners that are based in and represent the Goldfields region.
The GABC is a community initiative that highlights the strength of local Aboriginal entities and business owners and supports economic participation of local Aboriginal businesses. The Chamber emerged from industry feedback on the lack of visibility of Aboriginal businesses, the barriers experienced by Aboriginal businesses in engaging in commercial opportunities, and the community desire to define their own narrative on Aboriginal business matters.
The purpose of the GABC is to:
- Improve the visibility and networks of Aboriginal businesses to strengthen relationships and create opportunity and grow the local Aboriginal economy in the Goldfields.
- Create more commercial opportunities for Aboriginal businesses within the major industries of the region including mining, state government and local government procurement.
- Champion Aboriginal business participation in the Goldfields by raising awareness of local Aboriginal businesses strengths and capabilities.
The objectives of GABC are to:
- Increase the number of Aboriginal Businesses winning contracts from government, mining and other industries in the Goldfields region.
- Assist industries in the region connect with local Aboriginal businesses.
- Assist the region to meet its IPP and APP targets for Aboriginal Businesses in government procurement.
- Assist the regions industry to meet Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) targets for Aboriginal business engagement.
- Facilitate the transfer of capabilities to Aboriginal Businesses to manage contracts from government, mining and other industries in the Goldfields region.
- Identify and remove obstacles to the successful adoption of Aboriginal business initiatives.
- Increase sustainable employment for Aboriginal people through GABC’s members.
- Increase the awareness and use of Chamber by industry including corporate partner membership.
Operations and Management
The GABC operations and management is delivered by the GABC Committee.
Committee Members consists of representatives that are local Aboriginal business owners and community-minded individuals, and have relevant business expertise that will help deliver one or more of the GABC’s objectives.
The inaugural and current GABC Committee is as follows:
Director, Kai Rho Contracting
Managing Director, Brenntech Contracting
Director, Indigenous Management Group
Director, Kai Rho Contracting
Director, Darda Exploration & Drilling
Director, Pila Contracting
Goldfields Aboriginal Business Chamber’s members have over 50 years’ experience in owning and managing Successful Aboriginal businesses in the Goldfields Region. The demonstrated leadership skills and experience from our members will be transferred to the next generation of Aboriginal Leaders from the Goldfields Region.
Patricia Lewis (Bundarra Contracting) and Rowena Leslie (Kai Rho Contracting) have successfully managed their businesses through the various stages of a traditional business 7 year life cycle, multiple times in Patricia’s case as she has successfully positioned her business accordingly to suit the volatile Gold Price that impacts the Economy of the Goldfields Region.
Indigenous Management Group (IMG) is an inaugural member of the Goldfields Aboriginal Business Chamber and provides Business and Procurement Support to Aboriginal Businesses across Western Australia. In conjunction with Patricia Lewis, Rowena Leslie and other members of the GABC, IMG supports and empowers Aboriginal people to own and manage their businesses to be successful and sustainable.